TheGamingChief

Making It Work Part 2 - A Vote

Poll  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should we focus on?

• Open ArmA 2 Again (and keep it online)
    • Focus on ArmA 3 (the server is online but no one plays it)
    • Garry's Mod / DarkRP
    • Minecraft (lol), there would be another poll to see what type of server you'd want.
    • GTA V (I'd have to learn everything about how this works, but I guess it's possible)
    • Other, please specify below.

Hello Everyone,

Based on the results of the last thread it's come to my attention that a poll is in order. I made the poll multiple choice to allow people to give input on the top 2-3 things they would like to see. Please don't put all of them, in the end, your vote will just get ignored if you do that.

Other Thread:

I'll list out all the options below.

Open ArmA 2 Again (and keep it online):
This would mean opening up the ArmA 2 server again, this would be set up to allow it to run without much moderation. PD will not be whitelisted, I may make a system that allows you to access more cop gear as your playtime increases. Basically making you rank up via playtime. The same thing would apply for EMS.

There would be a forum report system setup for support issues that can't be handled via TS.

Focus on ArmA 3 (the server is online but no one plays it):
This would be just keeping the ArmA 3 server how it is while making gameplay improvements. Currently, I do see this becoming hard to do due to the lack of SD / EMS infrastructure.

Garry's Mod / DarkRP
DarkRP is simple to set up, I already did it in a test environment. This would just involve getting feature requests and implementing suggestions. Lua isn't terribly complicated, and we can monetize. Ideally, I would want to sort of following this guideline that was shared by the creator of DarkRP.

Minecraft (lol), there would be another poll to see what type of server you'd want.:
Minecraft is easy to set up, it's been quite a while since I've set one up for more than five players so I may need to learn a few things again. I'll also have another vote to figure out what type of MC server people want. A plus is we can monetize in some ways.

GTA V (I'd have to learn everything about how this works, but I guess it's possible):
At this point in time, I don't know much at all about FiveM or anything relating to GTA. It's something that I'm willing to learn if needed.

Other, please specify below.
If there is something else that you think should be on this list feel free to add a comment about it.

Let me remind everyone, this is a vote to figure out what people want. We can have more than one server, in one or several games. It's all about the time it takes to set up said servers.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, please reach out to me.

Thanks!

Best choice is to have 2 if possible (You guys said you have a powerful box?), Running one of the ArmA servers alongside a GMOD server may possibly benefit the community more than just a solo server. Most members of the community have played DarkRP for many years (I have 2,000+ Hours on GMOD and at least 1,800 of those are DarkRP). I don't know what much be done for ArmA at this point as its very diificult for a community to gain a substantial amount of players without having a youtuber or big group to back it up. One side of me would like to see the A3 server up and another side of me wants to see the A2 server up again for the hell of it. Obviously ArmA is even more difficult now that the Devs have split away and made their own community. I think as of now it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw up the A2 server for some of the old players as it wont require much of a staff team and doesnt need to be worked on while you could work on a GMOD server. I know i'm pretty cancer but I do love this community to death, i've spent 2 years here and its been the best 2 years of any community I've been part of. Also with all the comments about the Minecraft server, I don't know what they're thinking on how that will possibly be beneficial unless its on of the modded survival servers like FTB (Crackpack) or other modpacks like that. If you do decide to go with a DarkRP server, the people who still sit on TS are more than willing to help with the setup of DarkRP and offer suggestions on rules.

Edited by TheGamingChief
Removed massive quote that was completely unnecessary.

Just now, Kevin385874 said:

Best choice is to have 2 if possible (You guys said you have a powerful box?), Running one of the ArmA servers alongside a GMOD server may possibly benefit the community more than just a solo server. Most members of the community have played DarkRP for many years (I have 2,000+ Hours on GMOD and at least 1,800 of those are DarkRP). I don't know what much be done for ArmA at this point as its very diificult for a community to gain a substantial amount of players without having a youtuber or big group to back it up.

That is basically what my thoughts are currently.

Honestly I don't see how an Arma server can work anymore for any community. They just don't appeal to enough people to have a consistent population, and the pop it does have are so divided what is the point. This cycle of remaking the same server every time the pop gets low instead of actually fixing problems won't end. Might as well explore either Gmod or GTA V. I really do love Gmod but I don't think that will work given how many extremely popular servers already exist and none of us know that much about Dark RP. GTA V is more similar to Arma and is on the come up, meaning it would make more sense in my opinion at least to try it.

Arma 2 and 3 will not work and has not worked. Sure everyone will probably play it for nostalgia but then a week or two later it will just die again like it always does. Same with arma 3. Right now you do not have the management structure to properly and efficiently run any Arma currently. Not to mention financially. 

Gmod

I have never played it but its sounds interesting and could take off.

Minecraft 

So many modpacks, you can test out just by putting it up and nothing else and see what people enjoy. then you can look at items to sell to gain revenue and add other things. 

I think everyone is not really seeing what kind of structure we have from a management  standpoint right now.  Sure maybe some people have knowledge on gmod or minecraft but couple things we need to look at here. 

We have bills to pay here one being the server box. Now i don't know all the financials of the server but we have to take this into  account. If no one is donating, if no revenue is being made to keep the server running. We won't be playing anything unless someone wants to run a VM or dedicated server box. 

When it comes to picking one or more choices you need to take into account the following,

We need to be able to make money with it.

Popular enough where we have chance of gaining population.

Easy to setup to be playable and then things can added or adjusted later and salvage whatever player base our life has left. 

Most of this is common sense, but i figure i would outline a little bit anyway. 

Gmod and Minecraft IMO would best fit for all these thing. 

Edited by Darkshifter

You need to setup something that has little to no interaction needed by Staff. CP is in College Full Time. Binky is in College Full Time, You are in College Full Time. Although I do believe you care about the server Your actions have made you out of touch witht he community. 

Which game is going to make enough money to keep the box up? Unless things have changed greatly int he last 4 or so Months that is Prolly a big concern. Or do you just say screw it and let it die and go on with your everyday life like most of the rest of the community has?

On 3/18/2019 at 6:54 PM, Darkshifter said:

Arma 2 and 3 will not work and has not worked. Sure everyone will probably play it for nostalgia but then a week or two later it will just die again like it always does. Same with arma 3. Right now you do not have the management structure to properly and efficiently run any Arma currently. Not to mention financially. 

Gmod

I have never played it but its sounds interesting and could take off.

Minecraft 

So many modpacks, you can test out just by putting it up and nothing else and see what people enjoy. then you can look at items to sell to gain revenue and add other things. 

I think everyone is not really seeing what kind of structure we have from a management  standpoint right now.  Sure maybe some people have knowledge on gmod or minecraft but couple things we need to look at here. 

We have bills to pay here one being the server box. Now i don't know all the financials of the server but we have to take this into  account. If no one is donating, if no revenue is being made to keep the server running. We won't be playing anything unless someone wants to run a VM or dedicated server box. 

When it comes to picking one or more choices you need to take into account the following,

We need to be able to make money with it.

Popular enough where we have chance of gaining population.

Easy to setup to be playable and then things can added or adjusted later and salvage whatever player base our life has left. 

Most of this is common sense, but i figure i would outline a little bit anyway. 

Gmod and Minecraft IMO would best fit for all these thing. 

DID YOU ACUTALLY JUST SUGGEST MINECRAFT?

I just have a question for anyone that is willing to answer (Senior Staff or otherwise):

Opening the Arma 2 server back up and keeping it open seems all well and good to the kids that want nostalgia, but who is paying for it? $0 of the monthly goal has been a trend with this community for some time and I don't see the ones that are asking to put up a server that will experience a cyclical player base (Playing for nostalgia, dying, coming back for nostalgia, dying) offering up any money. It is all well and good that they gave $100 or so a year ago, but that money is gone. It paid the bills THAT MONTH. Leaving a server up in times of low players will get expensive and, although I cannot speak for whomever it may be, the individual(s) that have been paying the bills will eventually get tired of it.

In my opinion, putting up a server that everyone knows will not have a growing player base due to the age of the game and downward trend in players is pointless. It will provide a few good times for a handful of players that can't let go, but it will inevitably die as they lose interest and find other responsibilities in their lives. Should Senior Staff not give preference to a game that has the opportunity to find a growing player base? GTA V is a decent example of a game that is still experiencing some growth that the community could benefit from.

TL;DR - No one wants to pay for shit, but expects Senior Staff to bend to their will and leave the server up with no money in the pot. Community should probably move to a game that could actually make money.

EDIT: Also, unpopular opinion, sometimes the players don't always know what is best and Senior Staff should probably make this decision according to their experience.

Edited by David Jones
Additional Negativity

I will answer your question as best as I can. Prior to us switching to ARMA 3 this last time the "bills" were paid for at least 1 billing cycle. Billing cycle is Probably around 6 months, There was a Plan in place to have someone pay for the box however.

Everyone that has been here since the beginning is off going to college, The head admins and all the people I remember playing with is off to college. I feel the best hope is a big push in may when school gets out. We can probably get a few old timers back and try and get the big rush of people wanting to play something during the summer. We have always had lows during the school year but now that school is college for a lot of people and that means less time or no time to play during the school year. We could most likely get new people who are skilled and that wants to grow the community to join us along with new faces and old faces. The summer is our best chance of reviving the community and if we do not make the same mistakes that we did then even after summer the community could live on. We need to give people what they want and what is different from other arma communities. It will not be easy but I believe we can do it. Even if it is bringing back the arma 2 community back.

4 hours ago, David Jones said:

Yes, but what I am saying is: Where is the group mindset (the "Our" in "OLRPG") when it comes to paying for the server?

The mindset is if you wanna run a successful community, you have to sacrifice a lot of time and money while being at risk of losing it all to something like what happened recently. No game is guaranteed to bring in money, nobody's gonna give money to a dead community hoping that it will be revived. Your logic only applies to a server that is actually running a steady player base and acquiring new players like it was in 2017 and before.

Jesus Christ that was a lot of aids I just had to remove. It'd be great if everyone could keep these threads somewhat on topic. If there is another issue, feel free to send me a PM, but please don't derail the thread...

Anyways now that I've had time to read through everything everyone has posted, it's time to reply to a few things.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:01 AM, Mark Stavaros said:

Just throw up an old A2 mission file and unwhitelist PD gear that isn't OP such we SWAT shit

That is basically the idea of option one. I would modify the PD gear to be based on playtime instead of actual rank. And super OP items such as SWAT will not be unwhitelisted.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:15 PM, Matt Hayche said:

Honestly I don't see how an Arma server can work anymore for any community. They just don't appeal to enough people to have a consistent population, and the pop it does have are so divided what is the point. This cycle of remaking the same server every time the pop gets low instead of actually fixing problems won't end. Might as well explore either Gmod or GTA V. I really do love Gmod but I don't think that will work given how many extremely popular servers already exist and none of us know that much about Dark RP. GTA V is more similar to Arma and is on the come up, meaning it would make more sense in my opinion at least to try it.

I agree with what you said about ArmA not having a consistent population, it's a real problem without a good solution. Personally, and based off of the current totals on the poll, I believe the best thing we can do is open A2 but in it's free as the wind state. And then try something such as Gmod. I think GTA V might be worth trying at some point, but with the current total on the vote, and my experience with Gmod vs GTA V make it appear as Gmod is a better choice at this moment. Currently I can't even open GTA V since I don't have my PC since I'm on spring break, however, I will be looking into the requirements and playing around with it as soon as I can.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, Darkshifter said:

Arma 2 and 3 will not work and has not worked. Sure everyone will probably play it for nostalgia but then a week or two later it will just die again like it always does. Same with arma 3.

You are right. That's exactly what I expect to happen when A2 has opened up again, but this time it's being set up to run by itself with no major interaction needed.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, Darkshifter said:

Currently, we pay trimonthly for the physical server that hosts all the servers.

19 hours ago, David Jones said:

Opening the Arma 2 server back up and keeping it open seems all well and good to the kids that want nostalgia, but who is paying for it? $0 of the monthly goal has been a trend with this community for some time and I don't see the ones that are asking to put up a server that will experience a cyclical player base (Playing for nostalgia, dying, coming back for nostalgia, dying) offering up any money. It is all well and good that they gave $100 or so a year ago, but that money is gone. It paid the bills THAT MONTH. Leaving a server up in times of low players will get expensive and, although I cannot speak for whomever it may be, the individual(s) that have been paying the bills will eventually get tired of it.

No one, no one is going to pay for the Arma 2 server. Players are incentivized to donate because they get some sort of perks, it's rare for someone to want to donate out of the goodness of their heart, it's almost always to expect something in return. The problem is that it's impossible to provide any sort of perks or thanks to someone donating on an ArmA 2 or ArmA 3 server anymore. That's where this not so small detail comes in, as I've said so many times, we own a physical server box that we built and currently have hosted in a data center in Denver. We can host one server, or we could host twenty servers, it will still cost us the same amount of money. It comes down to getting people to play, having active staff, and being able to keep up with development needs for each server. You also need at least one server providing income to keep everything else running. From what I've seen from this poll and community suggestions, it would appear as the best course of action would to have ArmA 2 open in it's "unwhitelisted" state which requires little effort to run. ArmA 2 won't pay the bills, that's why another server would need to be opened, based on the current poll results Gmod/DarkRP appear to be the best way of doing that.

Thoughts on this?

i do like arma2 and would LOVE for it to come back but my thoughts is there needs to be more time put into it by the devs(even if its adding somthing little every 2-3 weeks)we the players do like a2 and if u did open it back up and do not do any development to it, it is gonna die within the month its open. my option is the devs should put time into the server and make people want to say because lets all be honest arma2 is a very old old game but still very fun, another thing is the ratio there should be NO ratio u gotta think in real life the cops are always gonna over power the civs having a 1:1 ratio just fucks everything up and most cops just get off. Also adding gang bases or gang hideouts, for the most elite gangs but have rules so they cannot be overpowered. anyway thats my option on a2 i would love to see it come back and hope it dose anyway good luck

17 hours ago, TheGamingChief said:

Jesus Christ that was a lot of aids I just had to remove. It'd be great if everyone could keep these threads somewhat on topic. If there is another issue, feel free to send me a PM, but please don't derail the thread...

Anyways now that I've had time to read through everything everyone has posted, it's time to reply to a few things.

That is basically the idea of option one. I would modify the PD gear to be based on playtime instead of actual rank. And super OP items such as SWAT will not be unwhitelisted.

I agree with what you said about ArmA not having a consistent population, it's a real problem without a good solution. Personally, and based off of the current totals on the poll, I believe the best thing we can do is open A2 but in it's free as the wind state. And then try something such as Gmod. I think GTA V might be worth trying at some point, but with the current total on the vote, and my experience with Gmod vs GTA V make it appear as Gmod is a better choice at this moment. Currently I can't even open GTA V since I don't have my PC since I'm on spring break, however, I will be looking into the requirements and playing around with it as soon as I can.

You are right. That's exactly what I expect to happen when A2 has opened up again, but this time it's being set up to run by itself with no major interaction needed.

Currently, we pay trimonthly for the physical server that hosts all the servers.

No one, no one is going to pay for the Arma 2 server. Players are incentivized to donate because they get some sort of perks, it's rare for someone to want to donate out of the goodness of their heart, it's almost always to expect something in return. The problem is that it's impossible to provide any sort of perks or thanks to someone donating on an ArmA 2 or ArmA 3 server anymore. That's where this not so small detail comes in, as I've said so many times, we own a physical server box that we built and currently have hosted in a data center in Denver. We can host one server, or we could host twenty servers, it will still cost us the same amount of money. It comes down to getting people to play, having active staff, and being able to keep up with development needs for each server. You also need at least one server providing income to keep everything else running. From what I've seen from this poll and community suggestions, it would appear as the best course of action would to have ArmA 2 open in it's "unwhitelisted" state which requires little effort to run. ArmA 2 won't pay the bills, that's why another server would need to be opened, based on the current poll results Gmod/DarkRP appear to be the best way of doing that.

Thoughts on this?

You know, i've fucked with you a lot but you're actually a really educated fella for a Walmart employee.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:25 AM, TheGamingChief said:

I think there should be a mixture, if there is no rank system then I think all marked cars and all regular weapons (eg. m4 magpul etc etc) should be unwhitelisted and just let people choose what they want. Then maybe have some things eg. unmarked cars, slicktops etc to be a playtime based thing. The last thing you want is all the 5 year olds who dont work to be OP with all the good cars and then others stuck with a CV and taser. 

14 hours ago, Kyle W. said:

I think there should be a mixture, if there is no rank system then I think all marked cars and all regular weapons (eg. m4 magpul etc etc) should be unwhitelisted and just let people choose what they want. Then maybe have some things eg. unmarked cars, slicktops etc to be a playtime based thing. The last thing you want is all the 5 year olds who dont work to be OP with all the good cars and then others stuck with a CV and taser. 

Your sig is literally premium quality libtardism.