TheGamingChief

Making It Work - Submit Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

First off, yeah the title of this thread is weird, but it's the best I'm going to come up with. Anyways, I first wanted to start off this thread with a few fun facts, on July 2th, 2015 the first version of the Our Life RPG website was created. On July 11th, 2015 we were officially live on ArmA 2 with a modified mission file that originated from Real Life RPG after most of the major issues were fixed by @CP3088and @Swervz . Today it has been 3 years, 8 months, and 2 days since we officially launched. In this timeframe, Our Life RPG has experienced amazing successes and of course, we have experienced major downfalls. Right now, we are in one of those downfalls, we've lost a lot of people, not just players, staff members, and even developers.

As I'm sure some of you are aware by now, we lost our lead developer recently. He has gone and created his own community once again, this is not the first time, or the second time, hell this probably isn't even the third time this has happened. We've all been so busy the last few months, myself included. Due to my schedule, I've neglected this community. And my neglection certainly hasn't helped with the downfall we have been in. At this moment we have currently loss people that currently are really important to this community, Luke Sheppard (Garry), Foster, Derek Graham, Jack Daniels, and so many more.

But I want to stress something, this is not the end, but maybe a new chapter. Recently I quit my job, mainly because it took too much of my time. I'm a fulltime college student who was working over 30+ hours a week, not only was I neglecting this community, I was neglecting my course work. That's why I left my job (my last day is Friday), and when I left I told myself there were a few things I was going to do with the time I now had. One, focus more on my course work, I'm in college for a reason, not to just waste my money. And two, to focus on this community more, I won't be active 8+ hours a day like I was able to before I went to college, but I want to be here more.

Me being here won't save the community, it's going to take time, and it's going to take help from the community, staff (those active and inactive), and senior staff (those active and inactive). The most important part is the community, without the community I could sit here and dev 8 hours a day and it won't make a difference without community feedback and support.

I'm not going to lie to you, this downfall is bad, but we have been low before, and we can rise again!

Moving along to my main point of this thread, we need suggestions. As it stands it's going to be hard to support an ArmA 3 server, without the support of an SD Command, EMS Command, and with only me working on development for the ArmA 3 server, it's going to take time and a hell of a lot of work to get this working again. 

That's why I want your suggestions, what are you guys interested in. Do we just continue to work on the ArmA 3 server and slowly but surely implement requested features. Or do we spin up another game to keep members occupied while we work on the ArmA 3 server? Or do we switch to another game altogether? 

I know people were joking about making "OurLife Gmod" or "OurLife DarkRP", but I'm curious and I want your feedback.

Please keep your comments reasonable, anyone who makes comments just to be a troll or just aids in general, will have their comment removed and possibly have their account suspended depending on the comment. 

After 3 years and 8 months I refuse to let it end like this, let's #MakeOLRPGGreatAgain!

My suggestion is just to give up and shut it down and save some money. I'm not trolling or trying to be aids but you have no one to help you and I don't see how yourself is going to be able to revive this community, it was a good 3 years but nothing lives forever.

Edited by Dimitri Morozov

I really respect your optimism, but it's fucked. You guys waited too long, neglected us for too long, and now it's over. It was a good run, and people will always cherish the memories from this community. But it's over.

Gone, but never forgotten.

You're gonna end up having to start on a new game if you want to do anything with this community but what game? I'm not quite sure what would fit this community while also allowing it to grow but games like gmod allow for easy means of profit for the community and (can attract more 12 year olds which this community prospers on) 

24 minutes ago, Piotr OBrian said:

suggestion go back to Arma 2 a lot of people play it. For example Takistan life servers are back alive. If they can come back from the dead surely it we would be able to come back. Or Ourliferpg Takistan life on arma 2

OLRPG takistan life will just fall short and TLX will take the head place, i don't see OLRPG arma 2 working out anymore either sadly :(

Going back to Arma 2 will definitely not work this time. I would suggest saving your money and just shutting down the server. At this point, development took way too long causing the player base to leave to other communities. Plus the Lead Dev that actually does most of the work on the server left so I don't see this community coming back from this hole that it dug itself into. What I would have liked to see from the developers thought was to actually inform the community once every 1 or 2 weeks on was currently being worked on instead of telling us to fuck off and read the trello. Its been a good run.

I think 100% of the blame fell on us, the players, for the downfall in the most recent Arma 3 mission. It is up to us to play on the server. The most important thing is to play on the server, and support it while development occurs. When we didn't do that, the server died.

5 hours ago, Harvey Armstrong said:

I think 100% of the blame fell on us, the players, for the downfall in the most recent Arma 3 mission. It is up to us to play on the server. The most important thing is to play on the server, and support it while development occurs. When we didn't do that, the server died.

Are you fucking retarded? Also, I'm pretty sure you played a total of 15 minutes on the ArmA 3 server.

Edited by Kevin385874

The only way ourlife will survive is if we move to Gmod, this isnt a joke at all. If we switch to gmod then people will actively join because its not a dead game and police/life rp is very popular

Just now, MCR L3WIS MULLOCK said:

Like how serious can gmod be? you will always get them 8 year olds screaming down their mic and paying for donation perks with mommy's credit card

Enforce rules? Maybe have staff be on for server to be unpassworded?

35 minutes ago, Stangl Sabra said:

How about this, Arma 3 and 2 servers?         *suggestion*

Double death and double money? Great idea!

8 hours ago, Proton said:

I really respect your optimism, but it's fucked. You guys waited too long, neglected us for too long, and now it's over. It was a good run, and people will always cherish the memories from this community. But it's over.

Gone, but never forgotten.

I actually agree with proton here. :)

Removing the two longest standing senior admins at the same time right when the new A3 server was going to go up was an amazing idea to help the community TGC, i'm glad you did it and I think all the other community members thank you for that as well! It's not like me a Druxus were here for many years just to be removed and ignored by all of head staff. Definitely didn't see this coming....

Like ive said a really long time ago, the trend is going to GTA RP, could be even to late for that since senior staff was too stubborn to try something new.  

3 hours ago, Harvey Armstrong said:

I actually feel bad for you thinking this....

Removed everything that was off-topic/irrelevant.

14 hours ago, Dimitri Morozov said:

My suggestion is just to give up and shut it down and save some money. I'm not trolling or trying to be aids but you have no one to help you and I don't see how yourself is going to be able to revive this community, it was a good 3 years but nothing lives forever.

6 hours ago, IIVenIIomII said:

Going back to Arma 2 will definitely not work this time. I would suggest saving your money and just shutting down the server.

6 hours ago, MCR L3WIS MULLOCK said:

If you are not getting the funds to run the community i suggest closing it down but keep the domains and whatever else and maybe even sell some mission files for your own pocket @TheGamingChief :P;) - My suggestion anyway

4 hours ago, James Moore said:

I guess these quotes will be the first thing I will be addressing. Shutting down Our Life RPG would not save any money at all. The server we built runs 10 VM's, only 5 of those are for Our Life RPG, even if we shut down, we still have to pay for that server to be hosted. The only money we would save is for the domain, SSL, and TS License. 

7 hours ago, Piotr OBrian said:

suggestion go back to Arma 2 a lot of people play it. For example Takistan life servers are back alive. If they can come back from the dead surely it we would be able to come back. Or Ourliferpg Takistan life on arma 2

5 hours ago, Stangl Sabra said:

How about this, Arma 3 and 2 servers?         *suggestion*

4 hours ago, James Moore said:

The only issue I see with ArmA 2 is the lower amount of players. The game doesn't even pass 1,000 players a day anymore. It's also the issue of structure, the only way I see it working is if PD and EMS were super open and required no rank system, this applies for ArmA 2 and ArmA 3.

On the note of "double death and double money", it doesn't cost us more money to most more servers, it costs us more manpower, something we are currently lacking. We could have one server, or twenty and it would cost the same to run (for the most part).

6 hours ago, IIVenIIomII said:

Plus the Lead Dev that actually does most of the work on the server left so I don't see this community coming back from this hole that it dug itself into. What I would have liked to see from the developers thought was to actually inform the community once every 1 or 2 weeks on was currently being worked on instead of telling us to fuck off and read the trello. Its been a good run.

You are correct about the lead dev, but I guess I should ask this, I know he's reading this and he's probably going to think I'm being a rude asshole for saying this, but I just speak the truth. How many times do you think this person has left and created their own community? How many times do you think they took say 27 people with them just for their little thing to die a month or two later? One time? Two times? Maybe three or four times?

What I don't get is the weekly updates, I know I didn't tell anyone to "fuck off", I may have said, "hey we have a Trello, which shows everything we do and gets updated several times a week!". That's what I don't get, people asked for a Trello so they could keep up to date on what we were working on. So we made a Trello and people get mad when we tell them to look at it when they ask about something, doesn't make sense.

5 hours ago, James Moore said:

The only way ourlife will survive is if we move to Gmod, this isnt a joke at all. If we switch to gmod then people will actively join because its not a dead game and police/life rp is very popular

m53y_Gd7Rca1mXd6jEjFFQ.png

geLskpZHSVebg-jJ1qNazQ.png

Well, that's not what I expected to find...

4 hours ago, Kyle Smith said:

I actually agree with proton here. :)

Removing the two longest standing senior admins at the same time right when the new A3 server was going to go up was an amazing idea to help the community TGC, i'm glad you did it and I think all the other community members thank you for that as well! It's not like me a Druxus were here for many years just to be removed and ignored by all of head staff. Definitely didn't see this coming....

Like ive said a really long time ago, the trend is going to GTA RP, could be even to late for that since senior staff was too stubborn to try something new.  

Two senior admins were removed for being inactive, even after several attempts to contact, that part is directed at you specifically. We tried to get ahold of you so many different times and you never showed. Not to mention pressure from the lead developer and other senior staff members to remove inactive staff / senior staff.

I still don't get your GTA RP pitch, maybe the multiplayer technology is better now than it used to be.

I really want to play on this server, seems like it was unique from the rest.  One thing that helped back in my server hosting days was to host scheduled events for the community, let the server numbers build up during that event and server browsing players will see the numbers and take interest in the server.  

Getting your own community to get on the game is always a hassle at times, no matter what community you're in.. which means you have to replenish it with new members, keep the flow going otherwise it becomes stagnant.  

None of you asked the opinions of some random dude who hasn't even played on your server yet I.E. MYSELF, but if you did, there it is.