Suggestion: 

I believe that the server should implement a fully fledged DOJ system complete with justices, court hearings, and an accompanying BAR certification.

Why:

I believe that a DOJ system is essential for both police and civilian in order to increase the efficiency of police actions and protect the rights of the citizens. In the current state when a civilian gets charged for a crime they are most likely getting arrested with no legal representation and little chance of appealing the charge or pleading not guilty which I believe is a gross violation of ones rights. Despite me playing as an LEO for 90% of my time on the server I still believe that everyone deserves a fair trial. In addition court cases allow for top quality role-play with both sides needing to prepare extensively to ensure the best outcome. Other aspects that could be introduced with a DOJ is various types of warrants (arrest, search, bench. surveillance etc.) that need to be processed by a judge rather than a law enforcement officer.  Along with that the possibility is introduction of a bond system, expanding on the criminal code/introduction of a constitution and giving civilians more options for occupations and roleplay scenarios. While not all of this needs to be implemented I believe some of the more basic ideas should be. In addition I understand this would not be an overnight change and would require the input of a variety of groups.

Media:

N/A

Download:

N/A

Edited by Darwin Cried

This does allow for good roleplay, but I see a few problems, the most prominent being it's a lot of effort for a low reward.

Here's an example: Joe Schmoe decides to run from the police because he had an illegal rifle on him. Completely probable, and very common occurrence. Joe is eventually caught by the ECSO, and is charged with Felony Evading Arrest and Possession of a Class 2 Firearm. This would only net him 25 minutes in jail if he were to plead guilty. If Mr. Schmoe pleads not guilty to his charges, then deputies and the district attorney would have to spend time collecting videographic, photographic, and testimonial evidence to argue their case, and Joe and his lawyer the same. Then the case couldn't proceed until a court date is given and the judge, district attorney, defense attorney, and Mr. Schmoe (and the bailiff) are all online for the (bench) trial. If we had an organized system to where the arresting deputy submitted evidence through a form and the district attorney went to trial with that evidence (including testimonies, so the deputies didn't have to be there), I could see that being doable.

The real problem lies with submitting arrest warrants. Let's say that instead of being caught by the police, Joe Schmoe got away, but not before being identified by one of the deputies. The deputies would have to submit an arrest warrant on Mr. Schmoe for his charges, but theoretically they couldn't actually charge him with the crimes until the warrants are officialized. What if the ECSO sees and is able to capture Mr. Schmoe again before the warrant has been officialized? Should they be allowed to arrest him before it goes through, or do they have to let him go until it does?

I think a big problem with this suggestion is the logistics of it. Having to have players testify and submit video after every arrest just for a sentence that lasts (a) mere hour(s) is a lot of effort with little payoff.

15 hours ago, Stryker said:

This does allow for good roleplay, but I see a few problems, the most prominent being it's a lot of effort for a low reward.

Here's an example: Joe Schmoe decides to run from the police because he had an illegal rifle on him. Completely probable, and very common occurrence. Joe is eventually caught by the ECSO, and is charged with Felony Evading Arrest and Possession of a Class 2 Firearm. This would only net him 25 minutes in jail if he were to plead guilty. If Mr. Schmoe pleads not guilty to his charges, then deputies and the district attorney would have to spend time collecting videographic, photographic, and testimonial evidence to argue their case, and Joe and his lawyer the same. Then the case couldn't proceed until a court date is given and the judge, district attorney, defense attorney, and Mr. Schmoe (and the bailiff) are all online for the (bench) trial. If we had an organized system to where the arresting deputy submitted evidence through a form and the district attorney went to trial with that evidence (including testimonies, so the deputies didn't have to be there), I could see that being doable.

The real problem lies with submitting arrest warrants. Let's say that instead of being caught by the police, Joe Schmoe got away, but not before being identified by one of the deputies. The deputies would have to submit an arrest warrant on Mr. Schmoe for his charges, but theoretically they couldn't actually charge him with the crimes until the warrants are officialized. What if the ECSO sees and is able to capture Mr. Schmoe again before the warrant has been officialized? Should they be allowed to arrest him before it goes through, or do they have to let him go until it does?

I think a big problem with this suggestion is the logistics of it. Having to have players testify and submit video after every arrest just for a sentence that lasts (a) mere hour(s) is a lot of effort with little payoff.

I think you over-complicated it way too much. I think the implementation of a DOJ is productive and will increase roleplay. However, I think the solution to your problem is to dumb down the DOJ to fit our needs so that you don't need a bench trial every time. Just make it so you bring a civ to the courthouse and there is a bailiff, a judge, and a lawyer provided by the state in the courthouse at all times. 

4 hours ago, Proton said:

I think you over-complicated it way too much. I think the implementation of a DOJ is productive and will increase roleplay. However, I think the solution to your problem is to dumb down the DOJ to fit our needs so that you don't need a bench trial every time. Just make it so you bring a civ to the courthouse and there is a bailiff, a judge, and a lawyer provided by the state in the courthouse at all times. 

Okay but what happens when there isn't a judge online? Or a lawyer? or a judge? Who is going to be the attorney for the prosecution if there's only a lawyer for the defendant?

I love the idea of having a DOJ system implemented and have wanted one for a while. I think that it needs to be dumbed down though, like what @Proton said. it could be done on the forums or on google drive, either works. This would allow us to make plea deals in order to lower sentences, which will also result in less cases being handed to the DOJ. We also need to make sure that the DOJ is HANDS-OFF of the ECSO. They should have no authority of what the SO does. A bar exam would be cool, allowing people to be lawyers, however the way that lawyers do their jobs in-game will need to be appropriated for the style of this community. Make it so that upon arrest, the defendant has to serve their time, but can appeal it if they feel they were wrongly jailed. If the case with evidence gets brought to a judge (Who will be grouped with a prosecutor from the ECSO and the defendant's attorney), and the case will proceed. The key is having enough active members of DOJ. because if they're inactive, then we run into the issue where warrants aren't being signed and cases aren't being tried. This would also allow some great Civ on Civ RP. A civ could sue someone for losing his car in an accident, or something similar. This could really work, but needs to be done correctly. A lot of what I've said can be expanded on and changed, so I would love any feedback and comments.