TheGamingChief

ArmA 3 | Our Options [Vote]

de_poll  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which Option?

Okay first thing first here, for the love of god please read the entire post before voting. It’s not hard just please do it.

Okay, we know everyone has been wondering “WHERE’S ARMA 3?!?” and we’ve seen the topics suggesting that we move to it, so we’re happy to proclaim today that we’ve been working on an ArmA 3 server, and are almost done! After a few more things are finished up it’ll be ready to go, and there will be videos and more in-depth showcases soon, but firstly we need to figure something very important out, and that is how to handle moving to ArmA 3. We can’t please everyone, but we want to hear the community's opinions before we make a choice on how the move should work. We have Option A, Option B, and Option Z (basically not possible at this point but we thought we might as well show you guys it). Please take the time to read the explanation for each option and then cast your vote — we want feedback. If you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns, please post them. We will answer the most commonly asked questions at the bottom of this thread. We’re trying to keep this thread as on topic as possible, so anyone who trolls or attempts to derail the topic will receive a forum ban (we really don’t like banning people so let’s all play nice please). Voting will be open for 7 days from the date this was posted. Just a heads up, this poll is just to get an idea of what the community wants. Even if an option gets the most votes, it does not guarantee that it will happen. Again, this is just to get a feel of the community's thoughts on the subject.

Option A (Prefered):

Okay so Option A would mean #RIPA2. If we went with this option SD (this includes PD, on A3 there will be no Police Department just a Sheriff Department) would be completely wiped (don’t go crazy read until the end) and we would take applications for someone to become the new Sheriff. Once we have chosen the new Sheriff they will pick out their Undersheriff and Captains (they will need approval from Senior Staff before they make it official). From there they will start making their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Now for everyone who is upset about losing your rank have no fear, after the command is selected we will start a process for anyone who was a Senior Patrol Officer or higher to go through a process that will allow you to get a similar rank back (assuming you don’t fail) without having to start from the bottom. Anyone who was a Patrol Officer or below will just have to reapply due to a high demand, you were new to the department anyways and we want to give the people who have been in the Police Department for a while a chance to get back in without feeling as the last X amount of months have been a waste of time. The exact same process will apply for EMS. As far as staff goes all of Senior Staff will remain the same, MOST of the administrators will stay, and we will hand pick from the moderators and helpers. So if you want to stay in staff you best show us you’re willing to put time and effort into it.

Option B (Not Prefered):

So Option B is a tad bit cancer, it would still mean #RIPA2, however it’s basically just moving everything over from A2 to A3. Senior Staff is looking to do a huge change up in PD / EMS command so this option really doesn’t work out well.

Option Z (basically impossible at this point):

Very similar to option A, except we would split everything. ArmA 2 would remain, and ArmA 3 would be new. This document outlines the idea really well. It’s just not practical with the number of people we have and the issues that are almost impossible for us to resolve that go with this approach. The main logistical issue comes with having two servers, as already stated in that document there was a plan on how to handle having two different Police Departments and two EMS, however the more we review this option the less practical it becomes. ArmA 2 is a dying  game, we are lucky to get over 20 people at peak times now and after ArmA 3 is released that number is going to drop to somewhere around 5 people. Running the ArmA 2 server and the ArmA 3 server just isn’t practical at this point in time.

OurLifeRPG

Senior Staff Team & The Development Team

The only issue for me that comes to mind instantly is that moving to Arma 3 could/probably kill the community you already have here. Not everyone will be prepared to move across nor have a beastly computers to run the custom maps (i.e. Lakeside). Also because Arma 3 is so large and has so many community's who have been there from the start and have huge player bases therefore finding new players wont be an easy task, I feel that it could come to a point where we are worse off than we are now.

The only issue for me that comes to mind instantly is that moving to Arma 3 could/probably kill the community you already have here. Not everyone will be prepared to move across nor have a beastly computers to run the custom maps (i.e. Lakeside). Also because Arma 3 is so large and has so many community's who have been there from the start and have huge player bases therefore finding new players wont be an easy task, I feel that it could come to a point where we are worse off than we are now.

Hmm.. well, I haven't really spotted that many English speaking communities on Arma 3 tbh, most of them have pretty much died out. I agree with you that we will loose a big player base but I do think we can get that player base back eventually through new players that constantly play on Arma 3 Life Servers. I believe it is a risk worth taking.

First of all, great that you guys decided to finally do this, Arma 3 will definetely be something new and great for this community. Secondly, I believe that maybe keeping the highest ranking members of ESU and PD might be a good idea and let them structure the departments with SOP's and so on, but voting for new people might not be a bad idea as well. Anyways, I know nothing is mentioned about what mods you guys have planned or maps and such but I hope it will be something that stands out from the rest so we get players to try out this community and hopefully they find it interesting enough to stay.

Well, either you move on to Arma 3 or die with Arma 2. Now either server is going to come back to life on Arma 3 or it's gonna die. Saying that it's going to come back to life doesn't mean that there's going to be tons of people right after the release, but it can and probably will take some time (months). It's a risk which should be taken.

First of all, great that you guys decided to finally do this, Arma 3 will definetely be something new and great for this community. Secondly, I believe that maybe keeping the highest ranking members of ESU and PD might be a good idea and let them structure the departments with SOP's and so on, but voting for new people might not be a bad idea as well. Anyways, I know nothing is mentioned about what mods you guys have planned or maps and such but I hope it will be something that stands out from the rest so we get players to try out this community and hopefully they find it interesting enough to stay.

Totally agree that the mods need to be different and not just like other Life Servers. Something new and innovative would be great!

I see a few things that are useful to reviving a community from a couple of different sources.

1. ProjectLife, a similar community, meaning it is still alive, uses a trello roadmap.

Shown Here.

This would be great for the community to know what is actually going on.

2. Donations/Paywall

I, personally, am fine with a 3$ paywall. It would give the server some moneys to use while it is porting over, and bugs are being squashed. However, people who are 12 without access to a credit card would not be able to pay for that paywall, and would have to wait until it is taken down, which I would suggest a week or two after the server actually launches. Donations are critical, however, less money would be made if old donations were kept. On the other side, I spent 85 dollars for Tier 6 back in the day, and everyone who did has proof through the invoice mechanism on the forums. 

Ex: MyInvoices  

3.New ideas/ better game play/ something new.

There are some standard ideas, housing, new cars, bigger map.(Which I believe are all needed) Some things that I am talking about are more interesting ways of making money(Making sand not just walking around or standing still, it is not that easy to make money IRL), as well as more of a focus away from gunplay. Gunplay is fun,however, civs need to be able to have fun in a multitude of ways. Ex: This could be through small things added, like a drum/guitar/piano set and doing a concert somewhere. Less of a focus on gunplay, more gameplay.

4.Community.

Plenty of people still play ArmA3, and are wanting something new like this. We will inevitably lose people at first because of computer  quality, parents credit cards can't buy everything and so on. However, ArmA2 is dead, we must run before it rots and caves in on us.

DISCLAIMER: Not meant to steal/use anything from other communities. Only meant as brainstorming ideas, and making a Trello is commonly done, not just for ProjectLife.

SOURCES:

Server Banner for ArmA3 ProjectLife

That Trello page

My Invoices can be accessed(prob) by senior admins, if you need another screenshot talk to me on the forums. Feel free to contact with any inquiries.

May God himself smite me down.

I meant because it is still alive 

1. ProjectLife, a similar community, meaning it is still alive

Honestly, I think Arma 3 could benefit the community. IIRC the community, with Bohemia's permission, can give in game perks for 3, but I'm not sure if it would work out since we already got warned with the cease & desist letter.

I know it will be a pain in the ass, but I'd like to see B, and if made possible, Z instead. I still love Arma 2, and the thought of the Arma 2 server going away is impossible for me to comprehend honestly.

I do like the idea of A, but honestly it'd mean that everything everyone worked so hard for since they joined a faction would go right down the shitter, even though it'd be a clean wipe.

Edited by Cryptic Wic

Honestly, I think Arma 3 could benefit the community. IIRC the community, with Bohemia's permission, can give in game perks for 3, but I'm not sure if it would work out since we already got warned with the cease & desist letter.

I know it will be a pain in the ass, but I'd like to see B, and if made possible, Z instead. I still love Arma 2, and the thought of the Arma 2 server going away is impossible for me to comprehend honestly.

I do like the idea of A, but honestly it'd mean that everything everyone worked so hard for since they joined a faction would go right down the shitter, even though it'd be a clean wipe.

Will what i can say at this time is if we move over to Arma 3 at this time i would have to quit my EMS role and as for my PD role my only hope would be DOC in order to keep my PD rank and even that would be real hard for me to do.

As long as you guys past the tests the new Sheriff can give you your rank or a similar rank back.

As long as you guys past the tests the new Sheriff can give you your rank or a similar rank back.

ok yay

if we do switch how long will we have? forever?

too bad the donor wont transfer because I paid $40 of my own cash to support the server

Edited by Cryptic Wic

anyone wanna buy me arma 3? :)

oh yeah this is another problem

not everyone here owns arma 3 or can run it so idk so you'd have to save their ranks until they get the game

Edited by Cryptic Wic

I have a lot of questions about option A, since that seems to be the most popular one so far. 

What exactly do you mean by Senior Patrols Officers and up can get their rank back? Is it from PO3 all the way to Captain?

What map is it going to be?

Why are we converting to Sheriff? Is it because there are already a lot of Sheriff mods that you can immediately use?

I know in the past some things were said about Admins+ in staff keeping their ranks but is that still the case?

I am sure I can come up with plenty more questions but these are the ones I care about right now. I understand if you can't answer them all at this point.

I have a lot of questions about option A, since that seems to be the most popular one so far. 

What exactly do you mean by Senior Patrols Officers and up can get their rank back? Is it from PO3 all the way to Captain?

What map is it going to be?

Why are we converting to Sheriff? Is it because there are already a lot of Sheriff mods that you can immediately use?

I know in the past some things were said about Admins+ in staff keeping their ranks but is that still the case?

I am sure I can come up with plenty more questions but these are the ones I care about right now. I understand if you can't answer them all at this point.

1. Senior Patrol Officers + can be offered there rank back by the sheriff as long as they pass the certain tests created by Senior Staff and the Sheriff.

2. We are not disclosing the map for now.

3. We are converting to Sheriff because of the map.

4. "As far as staff goes all of Senior Staff will remain the same, MOST of the administrators will stay, and we will hand pick from the moderators and helpers. So if you want to stay in staff you best show us you’re willing to put time and effort into it."