Sunset Jesus

Use of Ten Codes

The use of ten codes in many departments is being phased out. I am a student in protective services, I've taken multiple FEMA and NIMS courses. The use of plain English is standard and is commonly enforced in incident management. The meaning of different codes also varies in different regions, so it makes it much more difficult for inter agency operations. Whether law enforcement, EMS, or firefighting, they don't tend to use them anymore. I recommend removing them from police protocols in order to make radio transmissions easier to understand from those who talk quickly or who don't have the best mic.

Edited by Sunset Jesus

We use 10 codes to clear radio traffic and MAKE IT EASIER to understand people and have them to the point so that all officers and deputies are able to know priority situations. If we were to remove the 10 codes it would fuck everything over causing it to be more aids then it already is on the radio.

If we used plain talk it would take longer than needed. Example:

Plain talk-

U-3: "This is Unit-3 conducting a traffic stop on a green range rover at speed 2, no additionals required at this current moment in time"

10 Codes-

U-3: "This is Unit-3 10-33 on a green range rover speed cam 2, no additionals required at this current time"

10 Codes example is to the point, it allows radio traffic to be cleared faster and more efficiently than plain talk. In removing the 10 codes it would cause radio traffic to be backed up and possibly have units not be able to hear priority traffic if someone is calling in a priority situation because someone is clogging the radio with plain talk to call in a 10-33.

Saying 10 codes does not save much time over saying things straight forwards. Both 10-33 and traffic stop can be said out loud. I definitely like the idea of removing them to make PD less intimidating to the newer players; however, I do like the feeling of "RP" that they add - both sides have their benefits.

We use 10 codes to clear radio traffic and MAKE IT EASIER to understand people and have them to the point so that all officers and deputies are able to know priority situations. If we were to remove the 10 codes it would fuck everything over causing it to be more aids then it already is on the radio.

If we used plain talk it would take longer than needed. Example:

Plain talk-

U-3: "This is Unit-3 conducting a traffic stop on a green range rover at speed 2, no additionals required at this current moment in time"

10 Codes-

U-3: "This is Unit-3 10-33 on a green range rover speed cam 2, no additionals required at this current time"

10 Codes example is to the point, it allows radio traffic to be cleared faster and more efficiently than plain talk. In removing the 10 codes it would cause radio traffic to be backed up and possibly have units not be able to hear priority traffic if someone is calling in a priority situation because someone is clogging the radio with plain talk to call in a 10-33.

When performing a traffic stop, all the officer says is "Dispatch from 86-1 traffic stop." or 86-1 to dispatch whichever local protocol says. We learned all this in criminal justice, plain English can be just as quick as using ten codes, it can be slightly slower or faster. But it is more widely accepted now that ten codes aren't ideal. They do of course sound cool, but they aren't ideal. If anyone would like I could try to get the resources we used in those classes, worksheets and textbook. Regarding your comment about units not hearing a priority situation being called in. I'll use this example: A player calls in a 10-99 at speed cam 5 meaning officer's life in immediate danger, quick response needed. Same thing as saying shots fired assistance needed. Same as Code 99 emergency. etc. Many different ways of saying the same thing.

You do realise that only like 4 of the 10 codes are ever used.

10-2 10-4 10-29 10-33 and sometimes 10-50. Dont know why there's complaints

You go through training to memorize them. If training is hard then it might not be the place for you. 10 codes are used because we don't do inter agency operations. We are not FEMA. No one here has taken IS-100,200,300,400,700,800 or any other classes. We don't use IC's. We operate differently. 

You go through training to memorize them. If training is hard then it might not be the place for you. 10 codes are used because we don't do inter agency operations. We are not FEMA. No one here has taken IS-100,200,300,400,700,800 or any other classes. We don't use IC's. We operate differently. 

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in the first half. And the whole "agency" is inter agency, because it's highly unlikely two of us are from the same local area. Each area has different meanings to ten codes. Typically the first 20 or so are the same, but they do differ from district to district. For instance, in my local area 10-10 means negative, 10-37 means under the influence, and 10-70 means prisoner in custody. As opposed to here 10-10 means AFK/break, 10-37 means suicidal subject, and 10-70 means fire. This makes it confusing for me to operate on this server using ten codes, and I'm not going to undo my training so I can play a video game Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't say we are FEMA, and I didn't say people here have taken or should take FEMA to play a game, but for accuracy's sake I just put this out there and suggested it, I didn't mean to cause issues. There are instances where ten codes are still used, as well as many where they are no longer used for clarity purposes. 

One thing I have noticed, sometimes Teamspeak has the mic lag and other times a person just has a bad mic. And when that happens it is hard to understand what they are saying, no matter what they're saying (words or codes).

I mean I come from Australia where we have no 10 codes. But since this is an American server and this is how its been set up I just go with it. It works.

I really don't see a point to this, there is less than 8 codes that are used the majority of time. If you can remember them then you are just lazy. Just like a real department you need to put effort in to get results back